About Me

My photo
Topeka, Kansas, United States
A journey of homeschooling without guidelines.

24 August 2011

Summer Sucks

Here we are again.  I forget to update this.  I need to make it a weekly thing.  Those who follow it, if I forget, email me and tell me to get off my tail and post.

Anyway, summer sucks here in Kansas.  HOT and HUMID.  A horrible combination.  We are back to school now.  We are going to school year round to make it easier to to take sick days.

Alison is studying Russian History.  I couldn't find a textbook or book that wasn't college level, but it seems I am having to create the curriculum as we go.  She is also doing chemistry, which she must take in order to take the Gastronomy class she wants.  I am having to do that by hand as well for the same reasons.  She is learning Japanese isntead of french.  even harder to find curriculum for that.  They have AT LEAST two alphabets.  *headdesk*  She is starting to look at requirements for scholarships.  I wish her well, and hope she isn't trying to hard and burns out.

Xan is in second grade now and is doing well.  He is behind in math, but I know I am not a good math theacher.  I am trying to find a free or cheap online tutor/class for him.  He loves science, so we are focusing on experiments.  I think I am going to sign him up for Super Charged Science.  Aurora Lipper is a professor and has worked for NASA.  Check her page out, she is amazing.  www.superchargedscience.com
Calming Xan down isn't working, so now I am trying to let him do his work wherever he wants.  I mean, Ali is allowed to be on her bed and have her mp3 player, so I guess it is cool if Xan stands up to work.

Mason is 2 now!! He says the funniest things.  I need to try and write them down as he does so we can look back later.  His new nickname is Houdini, as he can escape from anything.  His big thing right now is drawing.  He wants do "play school" like the other kids, so we are finding ways to include him.

We got a puppy.  She is a chocolate lab.  Such a fun girl!

We are in 2 legal battles currently.  Trying to get my 15 year old back home with me, and trying to get my husbands 10 year old too.  Long story, but I will say I am sick of the court system.

We have found a church home and I will be baptised September 11th!  We had a few issues about a sermon that made us feel uncomfortable, but after talking to the Pastor, we realized it was SUPPOSED to be that way.  God has a reason for putting us in certain situations.  I am working on accepting that, but it is hard to change after being pagan for 30 years.  Now, I wonder, how will this affect my kids?  They are all Christian by choice.  In fact, Alison is loving her youth group.  Finally making some friends.

So, anyway, to close down I will say this:  I love homeschooling the kiddos, but I do way more work than they do.  Not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment